Industry, alongside transportation, is a major global energy consumer. In countries like Spain, for example, industry accounts for 31% of energy consumption. To become more efficient and sustainable, it is crucial to consider energy-saving tips in the industrial sector.
Energy, along with raw materials and machinery, stands as a vital component of any industrial process. It is used to fulfill lighting, generate mechanical power, and provide heat in various contexts.
Historically, electricity, natural gas, and petroleum products have been the primary sources of industrial energy. However, resource scarcity and the climate emergency have prompted a shift in the industry toward an energy-saving culture and the adoption of clean energy sources.
In this article, we will discuss the importance of achieving energy efficiency in the industry and provide tips for saving energy.
Energy efficiency in the industry refers to minimizing the energy consumption necessary to meet specific demands. Since the 1970s, driven by oil supply issues due to geopolitical and economic factors, energy-saving and efficiency measures have been promoted in the industry.
Following these energy-saving tips will not only result in significant economic savings for the company but also help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, thereby contributing to environmental conservation.
The climate crisis has led to the creation of international regulations to reduce energy consumption in the industry and decrease its carbon footprint. Among these regulations, the following stand out:
- EN ISO 50001 Energy Management Standard: This standard encourages companies to establish systems and processes to enhance their energy management.
- RD 56/2016 on Energy Audits: This law requires companies of a certain size to undergo energy audits every 4 years or implement energy management systems.
Industries with higher energy consumption typically include chemical, automotive, food, and metallurgical sectors. Energy consumption in industry is often due to heating, machinery, and lighting needs.
The benefits of following energy-saving tips in the industry are numerous. These include significant economic savings, improved competitiveness, reduced environmental impact, and the strengthening of the company’s image as environmentally and socially responsible.
Now, what energy-saving tips can be applied in the industry?
- Lighting: Replacing high-consumption bulbs with LED lighting and using timers and sensors can result in significant savings.
- HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning): Low-consumption heating and air conditioning equipment with monitoring capabilities can optimize energy consumption and reduce energy bills.
- Insulation: Selecting the appropriate insulation for walls, floors, and ceilings in facilities can reduce the need for heating and cooling.
- Energy-efficient sources: There are energy-efficient sources like liquefied natural gas (LNG) that can help reduce operational costs and enhance facility performance.
- Consumption habits: Promoting an energy-saving culture among employees will help normalize rational and efficient consumption habits. Technology and innovation: Replacing old equipment with high-performance machinery can reduce energy consumption.
Savings and efficiency are strategic goals in an increasingly sustainable industry. The choice of a good, efficient, and sustainable energy supply becomes a crucial factor for any manufacturing or industrial transformation process.
If you would like more information on how to save energy, please do not hesitate to contact our team. We will be happy to provide you with all the details without obligation.